Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
springtogarden

How do you know when it is really a pumpkin?

springtogarden
10 years ago

I think I may have my first pumpkin. The female "bump" is about the size of a half dollar. Is it safe to assume it has made it to becoming a pumpkin? At what size does it go from flower to actual pumpkin? I am growing sugar pie pumpkins. I am really excited. This is the first time I've really grown squash, pumpkins and melons. Thanks for the info!

Comments (14)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

When the original pumpkin doubles or triples in size, then you can be sure that it is pollinated.

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks :)! I keep checking. It seems to be getting bigger. I am at a community garden so I don't get to see it every day. Hope it is one.

• planetes
    10 years ago

It often takes a couple days to "register" pollination.. after that it should start growing rapidly. Pie pumpkins usually grow to the size of a small soccer ball (yes there are different sizes of soccer balls) but I've seen them ripen the size of a softball.

• elgatoloco
    10 years ago

If the flower is shriveled and it's getting bigger than I think it made it. It's probably going to take off now barring evil blood sucking critters. I think my first pumpkin went from pollination to 10 pounds in less than two weeks. And zuchinis, they pollinate one day and are ready to be picked the next. Now that I think about it, all the veggies in the squash family seem to grow rather quickly. Including the gourds, cucumbers and melons. That reminds me, I actually made a little video about it. See video link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Evolution of a pumpkin

• Christian
    10 years ago

If they pollinated well, and if conditions are right, it will start swelling up pretty quickly the first few days. If it doesn't grow much the first few days, and starts turning yellow, then its aborting it. But don't worry, many more female flower will appear, so you'll get more chances. It seems more than half of the female flowers I think will make it get aborted. The first few days are critical. If it starts growing, then most of the time it will be successful.

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all! I am like a proud mother :). It is now the size of a small softball, yeah! The picture doesn't do it justice (cheap camera). This plant is really happy and has 3 other females. But we had a huge rain storm so I am not sure if those were pollinated or not. I think I will limit it to 3-4 pumpkins since these are the little guys but don't want to stress out the plant too much. Do you all put things underneath it to keep from molding? I read the posts in this forum but it seems you only do it when it is laying in grass. Is that right? Elgatoloco I am going to check out that video :). Thanks again all!

• planetes
    10 years ago

usually yes I put them on a small brick or piece of cedar to keep them from rotting or too much chance of insect damage.. and that one definitely appears pollinated.. swelling is the best way to describe it

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have to get some wood for it. Thanks for the tip! I think I have some wood planks. I am hoping when I get back up to the community garden, I have others swelling too. I think they may have been pollinated before the rain so there is a good chance.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Congrats ! That is the real McCoy.

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much! I am very excited :).

• Christian
    10 years ago

Yes put something under them. I have had earwigs, and other bugs get under then and damage the underside of them when they sit on the ground. The fruit was not totally ruined, but had some ugly scars.

They should grow pretty fast. They seem to grow the fasted the first 2 weeks, and them slow down and start becoming orange. Congrats!

• planetes
    10 years ago

The only thing I would add is to avoid pressure treated wood. You don't want to take the chance of the chemicals leeching into the fruit.

• Sid23
    10 years ago

I use 1ft square rigid insulating foam. Works awesome. I got some junk pieces from a fleet store cheap and cut them to size. Reuse them every year.

• springtogarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have to look for those. I need to find something quick. Going to see where a store is near me. Thanks for the tip :)!

Sponsored