Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan6756

Zucchini pollination

Susan6756
10 years ago

I live in the high desert of California and am doing the square foot gardening. I have a zucchini planted in some good soil. The problem I am having is because I don't have any bees, I have to hand pollinate the female flowers. However, the flowers stay green on the outside, so the fruit shrivels on the plant and the flower dies. I will try to get up earlier, but I honestly have not seen a female flower open, only the male flowers seem to mature and open. My husband is up early and he has not seen the females open either. I've already lost two fruits and I have one about an inch in diameter and four inches long, looks somewhat like the final product, but can't be pollinated as the flower is still green and hasn't opened. Sorry about this long post, but HELP! I'm going stir crazy :)

Comments (8)

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got up this morning at 5:45 a.m. and while the male opened, the females did not. Now I'm really concerned. I'm thinking perhaps I should've planted three to increase my chances?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Females will follow soon. I am experiencing the same but I can see tiny females are growing. This is especially visible on yellow squash. with green ones it it not so obvious.

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, seysonn. I currently have male and female flowers. The males open, but the females don't so the fruit shrivels. The females never open, even after the fruit dies. I just don't understand why they stay closed. We've been experiencing a heatwave, but the males still opened :/

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, seysonn. I currently have male and female flowers. The males open, but the females don't so the fruit shrivels. The females never open, even after the fruit dies. I just don't understand why they stay closed. We've been experiencing a heatwave, but the males still opened :/

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Accidentally posted twice.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

@ Susan

Female flowers NOT MATURING and/or being aborted is another and different issue. Heat wave, as you mentioned could be one possible cause. There could be other causes like TOO MUCH nitrogen, concentrating on lush foliage and putting off fruiting,
    But I think , eventually the female flowers will start maturing. HOPEULLY.

I just hand pollinated my first squash. Male flowers are plentiful but females are far behind but coming along. Have to be patient.

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, yesterday I decided to cover the zucchini plant with some shade cloth and an hour later the females turned orange! This morning I hand pollinated. So apparently it was the heat. Just that slight difference in temperature made all the difference in the world. Now my corn is showing silk. I'm so excited! Thank you for all your help :)

• Susan6756
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seysonn, yesterday I decided to cover the zucchini plant with some shade cloth and an hour later the females turned orange! This morning I hand pollinated. So apparently it was the heat. Just that slight difference in temperature made all the difference in the world. Now my corn is showing silk. I'm so excited! Thank you for all your help :)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus