Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfstock

Squash dying before mature

wolfstock
14 years ago

Hi all - a newbie here. I'm a casual gardener, with a small above-ground bed.

I'm having a problem with my summer squash and zucchini, where the fruit (not sure if that's the right term or not but oh well) often dies before it's mature. Sometimes it gets about 2 inches long and then just peters out - other times only about half of a given fruit will grow to a decent size (4-5"), but the rest doesn't grow well. Sometimes the fruit does grow well, though perhaps only about 20% of the time.

This has happened for about two years now, since I put in my garden. My soil is mostly clay, though I mix in a lot of general fertilized Ortho "garden soil" from Home Depot.

I'm fairly sure I water enough - always a fair amount once a day when we don't get rain.

Perhaps might I have a soil problem - e.g. too acidic or too basic? Or maybe not using the right, or enough, fertilizer? If so is there a good home soil test kit on the market that might help me out?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Sorry if I'm asking questions that have been answered before - I did a cursory search and didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Comments (5)

Sponsored