Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help improving my potted zucchini plant

Posted by skald89 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:41

To start off, I will note my big mistake. The pot has garden soil in it. I did not know there was a difference at the time.

As it grew and developed flowers that have reached to the point of opening and closing, I trimmed out some stems below the flowers. Weeks later, I have almost no flowers and only one zucchini growing. Any tips on how I can get it to grow better?

I am in zone 6 / NYC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help improving my potted zucchini plant

how many (weeks) later? i would say that the pot is to small, a 5 gall bucket would be best. not sure if this is of any importance, but this year, my zuch's are not doing well either, so maybe it is not the year for them>>???

o

2-3 weeks later. Today I went out and the single zucchini looks like it is growing

How do i measure the pot to know the gallon size?

o

the very easiest thing to do is, run to any hardware store, and they should have 5 gal buckets. lowes, ace home depot...and really the garden soil is just fine if you have more. i would add some more soil to the pot, if you have more add in some coffee grounds and eggshells.....or kitty litter (unused) . and is the guy in full sun?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here