Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkin Emergency

Posted by taxtax (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 0:13

The best of my 3 pumpkins is going to die soon. The vine has already died and dried up.

Is there any way to save my half-grown pumpkin? Perhaps cut the vine just at the stem and insert it in water somehow... or other?

After something like 30 seeds, only 3 pumpkins ever made it this year, and they have been under repeated attack by pests & viruses/bacteria so I'd be willing to try almost anything to at least save what I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkin Emergency

Hey taxtax, I feel your pain. Most of my garden flopped this year due to heat, drought and hoards of pests. I'm afraid there's nothing you can do to mature immature fruit from a dead or dying vine. You might be able to eat it like a summer squash. Did a borer get the vine? (You would find a hole in the vine, near the base.
Chances are that you didn't do anything wrong. It's simply been an extremely hard summer.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Pumpkin Emergency

We had a reccord breaking heat-wave this year, and this seems to have really taxed the vegetation hard, not to mention it was very humid here, which opened up every disease imaginable.

I'm not sure why the vine just died where it did. It is POSSIBLE I did it by stepping on it because I was doing an awful lot of walking around and through the vines trying to spray like mad every few days fighting off all kinds of diseases left and right, there was just no end to disease this year.

From now on I guess I"ll only garden while going bare-foot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here