Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re pumpkins turning color

Posted by linda_utah 4-5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 0:21

We've had pretty fair luck with growing a few pumpkins this year for our granddaughters. I do have a question re: one of the pumpkins already turning orange. It's early august & one pumpkin is about half orange in color. This is a Connecticut Field pumpkin. The rest of the pumpkins are still deep green. For the first time, I planted in fairly fresh compost - horse manure, leaves & wood chips. They like this mixture far better than our sandy, very high pH soil. Weather has been pretty steadily around 90/60 degrees. Should this pumpkin keep until Halloween?

The only other time we had pumpkins so well here they were still green @ first frost and ripened in the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re pumpkins turning color

if the one fully rippens you can bring it inside and keep it in a cool spot and it will keep for months. aslong as there are no damamage to it like cuts bruises etc.

o
RE: Question re pumpkins turning color

Thank you very much. It just seemed awfully early for them to be ripening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here