Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lcaroline12

Pumpkin check in

LCaroline12
9 years ago

How about a new check in thread since the other one is getting so long? How are your pumpkins looking?

Comments (65)

• jocoyn
    9 years ago

Stephanie I have had that problem with the yellowing BEFORE bloom. Someone mentioned that maybe it is heat? Mine have all set new plants after a a few cooler weeks.

This is "Jack". Our one pumpkin. His vine has made it through a SVB and a pickleworm assault but he is an "only pumpkin"

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

Hi, thanks. I've also heard it might be the heat. I live outside new orleans and it is super hot here this time of year with no cooler weather in sight :(

I sowed late. I thought it would be okay because I had enough time to get ripe pumpkins by Halloween - but I didn't consider that starting late would mean extreme heat during fruit set stage. Oh well.

I do have 5 little pumpkins out there that are set and growing but hoping for more, many many more! Every time I see promising looking females I get all excited, then I go out the next day and they're sad and yellow and shriveled. Urgh. Do you think giving extra water might help if heat is my issue?

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

My first pumpkin coming along :)

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

I think this is a Casper. I also have my first Polar Bear set and starting to grow. I'll post a pic if that when it's further along

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Stephanie! I can't wait to see what you end up with. Jocoyn, your "only pumpkin" is beautiful as well.

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

Hello ladies!!!
    i have been so busy, i have just not stopped to post, i have been reading up on the mobile device though. but here are my few updates, this first pump is a cross i am sure since it looks nothing like the others, i planted peanut shell, and fantasy Cinderellas. this guy was the first of five peanuts that was fertile and grew. it is in no way anything like the other 4 peanuts on the vines. it has the shape of the cinders. So lets call him my nutterella...he a big one too. the ones to fallow are the cinder and the other peanuts, i have only one tiny casper this year...

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

here is the peanut that creep"ed into the lawn chair...

• oldgardenguy_zone6
    9 years ago

a white volunteer

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

Caroline, i too am sorry to hear of the problems you are having, you have such a wonderful garden spot, i wish i had your room!!! hope to have some seeds for next year...

here is my one tiny casper...

{{!gwi}}

• frogged
    9 years ago

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frogged, what kind of pumpkin is that? Looks like it'll be a big one!

Lovely pumpkins, slim! Lol at the creeper peanut pumpkin. Looks like he has a pretty sweet set up. I should probably mention that my personal garden is only about 8x10 feet. I don't have much space at my homestead but husband is a row crop farmer, so he and his brother and dad let me plant pumpkins on part of a small field. I feel very fortunate! I'd love to own a little piece of ground for myself. Oh, the possibilities!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I like this one! I'm confused and delighted at the same time because I sure didn't save seed from anything that looked like this!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or this!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red warty thing!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

An updated picture of my peanut pumpkin. There's two others in the patch that I've seen but this one has the most peanuts.

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Last one, I promise! I've posted this one before but it's much bigger now.

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't believe how quickly my plants are dying! It's considerably worse every day. I know the big pumpkins will be fine but makes me sad for all the newcoming pumpkins that'll never mature. Like Stephanie said, next year I'm going to be proactive!

• frogged
    9 years ago

LCaroline12- I think it is Prize winner, the other possibility is Dills giant. Planted both seed- 4 spots and only got one plant but it is doing really well. Really happy I will get a nice sized pumpkin and a few smaller ones from it. Iam amazed at how tall the plant is in the second pick you can see a pumpkin hanging in midair. I do not believe any one around me is growing pumpkins, so I think and that these pumpkins will produce true seed for next year. I am hoping anyway. Frogged Forgot to say how cool your warty pumpkin is :)

This post was edited by frogged on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 13:54

• mushibu10
    9 years ago

oh wow, nice pumps and gourds! I thought I'd share mine.
    seeds was sold as giant variety of unknown. it's a month old, and would you agree it's not ripe yet?

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

hey hey Cariline, please tell me when do the peanuts start to form on the pumpkins?? mine are getting dark orange but no peanuts yet??? i do have at least 6 maybe 7 weeks left of the season here i left my pumps out intil oct 20th last year...

here is my little white casper, he is about the size of a soft ball..

• Christian
    9 years ago

Wow everyone, great pictures!

Stephanie, yeah I think its the heat. I am in Dallas area, and here its super hot as well, and I remember this time of year the vines getting huge, but almost no fruit set. Has it been in the 90's there the past few weeks?
    I think once Sept rolls along, you should start getting more fruit setting. August is just too hot.

BTW, my Cindarella (Rouge vif d'Etampes) seedling (if I can call them that!) are getting pretty big now. They have about 4 or 5 true leaves now. They are very soon about to outgrow the tulle netting I have over them, so I'll have to put a bigger cover on them soon. The SVB and squash bugs are bad, real bad now, so I am keeping them covered as long as I can.

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

hi there guys...hey caroline what kind of pump is this one of yours??? it looks much like my rouge pump, thanks so much???
    slim..

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slim, it seems like it took forever for the peanuts to come, but once they started they came quickly.

And I guess that's a Cinderella pumpkin, although my Cinderella from which I saved seed looked nothing like this. It was bright solid orange with no stripes. I googled "hundredweight pumpkins" today and they looked just like this, but that isn't possible. So this is what your Cinderella pumpkins look like?

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slim, it seems like it took forever for the peanuts to come, but once they started they came quickly.

And I guess that's a Cinderella pumpkin, although my Cinderella from which I saved seed looked nothing like this. It was bright solid orange with no stripes. I googled "hundredweight pumpkins" today and they looked just like this, but that isn't possible. So this is what your Cinderella pumpkins look like?

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

my cinderallas look like this...i planted two fantasy cinders and two peanuts....in my little patch. from my largest peanut plant, that took over i may say, that was the first fruit, the one that looks like yours, that ferted and grew. the rest look totally different, and the oddball is huge!!! the 4 other peanuts have not gotten peanuts yet and look so very different...so i guess it will have to be a wait and see. with the vast amount of bees and all the gardens in my area, maybe i have a hybrid mongrel ha ha.....and BTW the scratches sre from a bunny that has been eating on my fruits!!!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WAIT... Aren't peanuts and Cinderellas both in the maxima family? Meaning they can cross with each other? It sounds like we both have a Cinderella/peanut cross pumpkin. Let's just say we solved that mystery! :)

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

yep...that is what i had figured too...we can call them nutter-ellas ha ha

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WAIT... Aren't peanuts and Cinderellas both in the maxima family? Meaning they can cross with each other? It sounds like we both have a Cinderella/peanut cross pumpkin. Let's just say we solved that mystery! :)

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for helping me figure out what crossed to make that. The whole patch is a mystery so my disclaimer when we trade seeds is... I don't know what any of my pumpkins are!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for helping me figure out what crossed to make that. The whole patch is a mystery so my disclaimer when we trade seeds is... I don't know what any of my pumpkins are!

• socks
    9 years ago

Here's a Cinderella. The vine grew up through the hedge, so a pumpkin is on top. I hope it doesn't fall.

{{gwi:860555}}

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wowza look at this crazy one!!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one is unusual. Looks like a cross between a cushaw and a tan pumpkin!

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Watermelon squash??? :)

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

WOW some freeky squash you have there!!!! It seems that my nutter-ella has started getting it's peanuts...how is yours Caroline...? i also founds two knuckleheads way in back flowering this morn, i pollinated one with a Casper wonder if it will grow??? how is it all going with the rest of you guys?? anyone have blue moon's???

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slim, my nuterellas don't have any peanuts... yet! They just seem to grow and grow. I swear one of them is 50 pounds or bigger! My patch is about 25% completely dead and the rest will surely follow shortly. It's nice because I can see everything out there now!

I don't have any blue moon pumpkins but there are a couple jarrahdales out there!

• PunkGardner
    9 years ago

I am a little saddened to find out that the seeds I pulled out of a pumpkin are not purebreds. At least that yellow guy growing doesn't look like he will be a pumpkin.
    Other than that, very excited for the plants to start filling in.

• PunkGardner
    9 years ago

Here is the rest of the patch.

PS. how do you post two pics in one post???

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your plants look really healthy, punk! Fingers crossed for lots of pumpkins. To post multiple pictures in one thread, you have to upload them to tinypic, then copy the location in the message. There's a sticky note with good directions somewhere on here.

Here's my patch with powdery mildew. Oh well, it'll be easier to pick if the plants are dead. :)

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Small sugar pumpkins on a dying vine.. got 8 if they all make it ok, not bad! A few may have to ripen a bit off the vine at this rate, but they are all turning orange in varying stages.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Small sugar pumpkin

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice looking pumpkins, peter! All in all I'd say a good crop.

More bad news for LCaroline's patch! Spots like these are now covering some of my pumpkins. Look like I'll be picking soon. It could be bacterial spot, in which case I won't save seed from these. :( We've had a lot of rain followed by cloudy days and I think it's causing the disease to run rampant.

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

oh my caroline, looks like a black mildew like what sheetrock gets wet and can't dry well. can you pick them and wash them, and let them dry and ripen in the house?? you can send some rain over this way...
    slim

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

Finally I have a little Polar Bear coming along & growing fast! I had another set further back on vine but it shriveled and died, so I'm super glad to see this guy doing well :)

Question: there's another female about 3-4 ft past this pumpkin that looks close to opening. Should I remove it to give this one a better chance if developing? Or let it be and trust that my plant knows what it can handle?

Sorry to see those black spots, Caroline, let us know how it turns out. I swear pumpkins are the easiest AND hardest things to grow - they are afflicted by some of craziest bugs and diseases ever! Urgh

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Thanks.. I hope I get them all before the deer do! As you can see the plants escaped the garden...

No idea what that is Caroline... is it getting any worse? I had a borer in one acorn squash and some kind of beetle in a butternut, but they were very superficial and the rest of the squash was fine, luckily... looked muchworse than it was.

How big are polar bear pumpkins? If they aren't too big I think it will be fine.

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

They're pretty big, 30 lbs or so I think. Caroline didn't you grow one? How big was it?

• LCaroline12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My polar bear was 36 pounds, but they can get bigger! I harvested mine early :)

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Oh, well I would guess if you want a pumpkin that big best to limit them :)

• pd0xgard_
    9 years ago

Have harvested 4 already, with 4 more growing (off of 4 vines), and this one that certainly looks to be the biggest of the patch so far...

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

very nice pumps...i just love to see them grow don't you???

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz