Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting a Big Max early.

Posted by acorn922 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 1:07

I have a Big Max pumpkin growing, but it's getting too big for the space. It's almost three weeks old, and still hasn't turned orange yet. If I harvest it now, will it continue to fully ripen on its own?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting a Big Max early.

No, that's not near far enough along, it would just rot. Is the actual pumpkin too big for the space or the vine? Just prune the vines if you absolutely have to, or redirect them.

o

Thanks for the reply.
I'll have to find a couple of people to help me move the pumpkin and vine.

o

Sounds like a good sized pumpkin! Congrats! I wish I could see a pic of it! I have heard that some people put a piece of plywood under the pumpkin to help keep it from rotting! You can keep pumpkins growing for quite some time, I believe! Read all you can about how they do it growing the giant pumpkins. I think they need a lot of water and fertilizer. Of course too much rain is a different story, like we had last yr! Kind of odd, last yr we had too much rain, this yr, not enough!

o

The pumpkin never got to contest proportions which is fine.
I'm picking it tomorrow. I never moved it either.

My new question is about another Big Max, which should be called a Small Max 'cause it's only the size of a football and seems to have stopped growing.
It's five weeks old and completely orange. I want to pick it 'cause there are garden thieves in the neighborhood.
If I pick it will it be able to sustain itself for a month or so if properly stored?

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here