Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pumpkins aborting after week of growth

Posted by huskies777 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 2:08

I've had the same problem for two years now( 1 of my two vines last year had the problem and my first plant this year is running into same problem) where the baby pumpkin will take and grow for a few days (past the point where an unpollinated pumpkin would have died) and then wither and die once it has attained some size. Its not that the plant is selecting a different pumpkin to send energy to (I'd be ok with that); instead the plant has no pumpkins at all but seems to like killing them off after about a week. I've been giving them a good amount of fertilizer too (start with miracle grow then switch to TNT tomato booster which is a little nitrogren, mostly phosphorous, and some potassium once many flowers have appeared). Any ideas? thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pumpkins aborting after week of growth

What do the plants do after aborting the fruit? Still growing happily, flower and try to set fruits again?

o
RE: pumpkins aborting after week of growth

Thanks for the reply. The plant looks great and keeps setting fruit but the same thing happens. Are you familiar with the TNT tomato fertilizer I use? Maybe I should double the amount on the directions? Is it possible to apply too much phosphorous?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here