Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newbie_in_spain

Some Jack-be-Little pumpkins are turning out green

Newbie_in_Spain
12 years ago

Hello all,

I have a couple of Jack-be-Little vines which have me a bit puzzled. The first fruit to grow is turning the usual orange color, and several others are growing nicely as expected, but there are others that have reached full size but have never turned orange. Instead they are mostly a very dark green with some orange striping, sort of a mottled green with orange flecks. Does anyone know what is happening here? Our nights can get slightly chilly but the days are in the 90s. Did I get a bad batch of seed?

Comments (3)

• Newbie_in_Spain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Weirdtrev,
    Thank you for responding so quickly, I had no idea what was going on. You seem to have nailed the problem. My JBLs look very similar to the ones in your photo. I never knew that JBLs were vulnerable to those viruses, yuck. I am just growing them for fun for Halloween, but they definitely are not the nice orange I was hoping for. I have several other pumpkin, melon and squash varieties growing -- I hope they don't get infected too. I am gaining new respect for what farmers have to contend with, between the creepy crawlies, viruses, mildews, etc. it is a wonder that anying makes it to market. Thank you for your help.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH