Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT How do you get those iVIllage videos to stop

Posted by melinda155 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 07 at 5:32

I can only read one message at a time now and those videos keep popping up and I can't shut them down!
melinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT How do you get those iVIllage videos to stop

I think that if you are a paid member (about $15 a year) and you log in, the ads go away. Every once in a while my computer "forgets" I've logged in, and they reappear until I log in again.

If you are already a paid member, you have logged in to GardenWeb, and they are still appearing, then you have spyware or adware on your computer. McAfee, Norton, and others sell tools for $30-50 to get rid of them. There are also some shareware or free programs you can download that will do the job, but they are of varying quality.

o

I am not a paid member and I have never seen pop-ups from this site. Do you know what browser you are using and what version it is? I use Safari if you are curious.

o

I use netscape.
and this just started. never had it happen before. But when it pops up, i can't move it up or down OR side to side to try to find the cancel "X" It won't move!!! really fustrating. and i have McAfee. forgot to say, i have not paid either.
thanks
melinda

o

In netscape try going to Edit > Prefrences > Privacy & Security > Popup Windows and then check the box that says block unrequested popup windows. That should take care of your problem.

Oh and those directions were for Netscape version 7.2

o

Check the tomato forum. There was a discussion over there and someone listed how to get rid of the ads. I can't remember the exact post but I'll try to find it. It worked for me!! Found it-

Try this:

I don't know if there's some additional mozilla thing that will get rid of the ads you're still getting, but this will block them: (copied from another thread here)

"The Universal Solution: (if you have a PC)

This will work on Windows systems for all browsers; IE, FireFox and Netscape.

The Windows operating system provides a system-level method to block specific IP addresses before they even get to the browser. To effect this solution you need to edit a Windows system file called "HOSTS". This file is located in the directory:

Windows XP: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 98: C:\WINDOWS

Open the file in Notepad. Cut the following from this post and paste it to the end of the file.

127.0.0.1 amch.questionmarket.com
127.0.0.1 a820.g.akamai.net
127.0.0.1 iv.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 i.ivillage.com
127.0.0.1 m.2mdn.net
127.0.0.1 tste.ivillage.com
127.0.0.1 img-cdn.mediaplex.com
127.0.0.1 ads.vmirror.com
127.0.0.1 cmhtml.ivillage.overture.com
127.0.0.1 ads.pointroll.com

127.0.0.1 xml.ivillage.overture.com
127.0.0.1 cmls.overture.com
127.0.0.1 cm.ivillage.overture.com

Close and re-open your browser and all the ads will be gone.

Unfortunately, iVillage may in the future buy ads from a new source. In this event the new ad source will have to be added to the list. "

o

o

An easy solution is to download the Mozilla Browser.. I have both Internet Explorer and Mozilla on my computer, mainly use the Mozilla. (Firefox)

I haven't seen one of those ads in a year. When I use IE, I'm reminded of how irritating they are.

You can download Mozilla/Firefox at their website:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Once downloaded, go back to the same site, and download their Adblock ad-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

You'll never go back.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here