Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahgfromlz

what's wrong with my plant?

SarahGfromLZ
9 years ago

We have a few pumpkin vines growing that are about 15 feet long. The leaves at the base of the plant are turning yellow and falling off. Additionally, the pumpkin that was growing at the end cracked! There is another pumpkin vine, though a different kind, in the same area that it's doing great. What is going on??

Comments (8)

• SarahGfromLZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a better pic.

• SarahGfromLZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone??

• slimfatty
    9 years ago

hi,

it looks as if it may be dried up, but the other one looks green and fine, could it be a reaction from the bark?? like a chemical?? how often do you water???

• SarahGfromLZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We tried this last year in the same spot and it happened then too. There we no wood chips that time. This is a slight hill. Would that have anything to do with it? I water everyday if it hasn't rained. The other, dark green vine is now getting PM :(. There are other plants, mumms, grasses etc that grow there so I don't know if it's location or not. Also, since I have you... how do I keep the rolly pollies away from my only pumpkin baby?? thanks for your response!

• Macmex
    9 years ago

Sarah,
    Could you have squash vine borers? Are there any holes in the vine, especially near the base. You might spot some debris from the worm which would be eating the interior of the vine. Borers will hollow out the interior of the vine, causing it to die, much as in your picture. This is probably the most common cause of death of pumpkin and summer squash.

Also, it is better not to water so often. If the soil is moist when you dig down with a finger, then don't water. Wait until it is dry. Then, when the plant looks like it needs water water deeply. By that, I mean water for more than an hour. I will sometimes water for two or three hours. Then, even in our Oklahoma heat, I will wait a week or even two before I water again. Powdery mildew is a real problem, especially when we have humid summers. But excessive watering will bring it on even worse.

There is a snail and slug product called Sluggo. The active ingredient is iron phosphate. It's safe around pets. But, if I recall correctly, it will not only kill slugs and snails, but also rolly pollies.

To protect your remaining pumpkin plant, I would recommend that you place some soil over part of the vine, maybe even in several places. The vine will grow roots where the soil covers it. This way, if a borer hits, the vine can continue growing. Also, keep an eye on the vine, especially near the base. Remove and destroy any little red insect eggs which appear there.

One other thing to try is to lay a sheet of aluminum foil, flat on the ground, under the vine, nearest the roots. There is some evidence that the reflective quality of the foil repels the moth which lays borer eggs.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sluggo

• SarahGfromLZ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for taking the time George!
    We will try that.

• Peter1142
    9 years ago

Looks to me like it needs some fertilizer...

• PRO
    SUMMIT Tile & Stone
    8 years ago

Thanks I will try again.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists