Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvest Bush Delicata

Posted by Steve349 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 7:26

This is the first year growing Delicata. The plant seems to be done growing and leaves are turning yellow. Days from transplant is about 76 days...Days to maturity in catalog is 80 days. Since Ive never grown this before, I think I can pull the plant and harvest the squash. My question is...the leaves turning color..does that mean its time to harvest? Are they other ways to tell if the squash is ready to harvest?
Im also growing Lil Pump Ke Mon, which is 100 Days and the plant looks like its done also, but its only 76 days also. I dont have any disease issue with these two squashes, altho, the pumpkin..Mrs Wrinkles is battleing Powdery Mildew, which Im trying to control. Any advise is welcomed. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvest Bush Delicata

When it's time to harvest, I judge by the pumpkin itself and not by the way the plant looks. Does the skin seem tough and resist puncture when you push your fingernail in? If so, then it's probably ready! I'd love to see a pic if you have one. :)

o

Concur: Of course if the plant is dieing, you may have serious causes. They will die before the fruit matures when infested with SVB or have serious diseases.At any rate, the fruit has done all it can when the vine quits.Unless you are on the west coast which does not SVB, I would check your plant. Usually a bush plant will set several fruits bring then to maturity and then try for a second set when conditions are favorable.

o

Thank you for your replies. I dont have SVB, I know that altho we do have them here. Now is the time for powdery mildew and I have sprayed with baking soda, hort oil and soap..kinda stopped it but Im sure it will return. I have many fruits on one plant and I believe it is done producing. I will check the skin, I believe it is hard to the nail. Again, thanks so much. Will post pics when I harvest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here