Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Here. Hello!

Posted by peppergrowman09 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 9:46

Hi. I'm leslie. I'm a new pumpkin grower. i had decided to start a garden this year. So in january i started growing peppers. i was and am still interested. and now another group of veggies veggies had caught my interest when i was looking at a compost tea video on youtube. I decided to grow cucurbits as well. I got some seeds from a friend. She has a special type of pumpkin she grows is her variety called smiths huge round. i planted the seeds and got a few up. but On my part i killed 2 and now have to left. I was wondering if i could get some tips for growing pumpkins. and also i would like a few pumpkin seeds of different varieties. I have seeds from a bahamian store-bought variety. i could send a few to u guys. would to try some giant pumpkins and small ones too.

Thanx to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Here. Hello!

Squash and pumpkins are heavy feeders -- they like rich soil and plenty of room for their roots. But given reasonable soil, reasonable moisture, and reasonable elbow room they grow with little attention.

The biggest problem for most people is the Squash Vine Borer and the Squash Bug (see many threads here about dealing with those dire pests).

I absolutely love growing squash and pumpkins. I love to see those rampant vines that grow so fast its almost visible. :-)

What zone are you in and what sort of soil do you have?

o

I live in the bahamas actually. My soil is about a 7.5 . its great for my peppers so i think it should work for my pumpkins

o

They like a lot of organic material in their soil and need plenty of water in the early stages (if you're on sand they'll need plenty of water period).

Good luck with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here