Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamagradener

Female pumpkin flower got chopped on by a slug

mamagradener
10 years ago

My female pumpkin flower got chopped on by a slug :( will it still make a pumpkin even though some of it is eaten ?

Comments (11)

• planetes
    10 years ago

minor damage to the petals of the flower like that won't harm it at all.. the largest purposes the petals serve are to attract pollinators and then wrap the stigmas in the center after the flower wilts/fades. The latter wrapping helps trap the pollen inside the flower.

If you hand pollinate you should have nearly 100% chance of fruit forming.

• mamagradener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again Planetes for the info :)

I did indeed hand pollinate the flower so hope it turns into a nice looking pumpkin :D

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

Hope it does turn into a pumpkin for you :). It is a beautiful flower!

• mamagradener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you very much gardengal13 :) I will post a picture if it does or doesn't turn into a pumpkin.

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

You're welcome! Can't wait to see it :).

• mamagradener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Its been a little over a week since that slug made lunch out of my female pumpkin flower but the little guy is thriving now seemly unaware of the rocky start :)

• ceth_k
    10 years ago

It's very nice that your pumpkin was not affected. Hope it will turn into some 30lbs big fruit!

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

That is a beaut :)! What variety are you growing? Perfect timing for Halloween. I love growing pumpkins. I have a few pie pumpkins and it has been a lot of fun.

• mamagradener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much gardengal13 :) I kind of lucked out with the timing because i planted them to early and already harvested 5 and thought that was it. I was pinching back all the flowers and such to get a bigger pumpkin but after they slowed in growing i let the plant grow again. Out came all these female flowers. I realized I know nothing about growing pumpkins! haha I might have over done it with one of my pumpkin plants by adding to much potash :/
    It was a lot of fun growing pumpkins this year and i am going to try my hand on growing more next year but a couple different kinds. This year i just picked up burpee pumpkin jack o lantern.
    Next year i am trying full moon pumpkins, Harvest Time Hybrid Pumpkin, Magic Lantern Hybrid Pumpkin, and Early Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkin. haha Now i only need a bigger backyard :P

• springtogarden
    10 years ago

You're welcome :)! I didn't know they could flower again after they had already had "babies" lol. Your pumpkin has nice form and looks healthy. I am growing sugar pie pumpkins. I thought the vines would be small due to the small pumpkins ha! Such a newbie. The vine is huge! I am new to pumpkins too this year. Well, I had one year I grew one on the deck but it was hardly a pumpkin. It could fit in my hand and when opened, wasn't fully formed. My deck just doesn't get enough sun so this year I rented a plot. I want to grow a huge patch too lol. I understand you on growing a big garden. Neighbors watch out if I get a couple of acres, it will be filled with a garden and a huge pumpkin patch lol. I also want to try my hand at moon and stars watermelons. My dream would be a big yard. Maybe I will win the lottery :D.

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 22:40

• mamagradener
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Gardengal13 Didnt mean to ignore you! My son hit the age where they need your attention 24/7 ..haaha he is 18 months now
    That pumpkin got to be 4-5 pounds
    That was amazing how many pumpkins i got !!
    I am going to try Putting sugar pie pumpkins on a trellis as well as some butternut squash. have them running along my fence.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH