Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Female pumpkin flower got chopped on by a slug

Posted by mamagradener 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 9:59

My female pumpkin flower got chopped on by a slug :( will it still make a pumpkin even though some of it is eaten ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Female pumpkin flower got chopped on by a slug

• Posted by planetes 7b (Cascadia - PNW) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 11:31

minor damage to the petals of the flower like that won't harm it at all.. the largest purposes the petals serve are to attract pollinators and then wrap the stigmas in the center after the flower wilts/fades. The latter wrapping helps trap the pollen inside the flower.

If you hand pollinate you should have nearly 100% chance of fruit forming.

o

Thanks again Planetes for the info :)

I did indeed hand pollinate the flower so hope it turns into a nice looking pumpkin :D

o

Hope it does turn into a pumpkin for you :). It is a beautiful flower!

o

Thank you very much gardengal13 :) I will post a picture if it does or doesn't turn into a pumpkin.

o

You're welcome! Can't wait to see it :).

o

Its been a little over a week since that slug made lunch out of my female pumpkin flower but the little guy is thriving now seemly unaware of the rocky start :)

o

It's very nice that your pumpkin was not affected. Hope it will turn into some 30lbs big fruit!

o

That is a beaut :)! What variety are you growing? Perfect timing for Halloween. I love growing pumpkins. I have a few pie pumpkins and it has been a lot of fun.

o

Thank you so much gardengal13 :) I kind of lucked out with the timing because i planted them to early and already harvested 5 and thought that was it. I was pinching back all the flowers and such to get a bigger pumpkin but after they slowed in growing i let the plant grow again. Out came all these female flowers. I realized I know nothing about growing pumpkins! haha I might have over done it with one of my pumpkin plants by adding to much potash :/
It was a lot of fun growing pumpkins this year and i am going to try my hand on growing more next year but a couple different kinds. This year i just picked up burpee pumpkin jack o lantern.
Next year i am trying full moon pumpkins, Harvest Time Hybrid Pumpkin, Magic Lantern Hybrid Pumpkin, and Early Sweet Sugar Pie Pumpkin. haha Now i only need a bigger backyard :P

o

You're welcome :)! I didn't know they could flower again after they had already had "babies" lol. Your pumpkin has nice form and looks healthy. I am growing sugar pie pumpkins. I thought the vines would be small due to the small pumpkins ha! Such a newbie. The vine is huge! I am new to pumpkins too this year. Well, I had one year I grew one on the deck but it was hardly a pumpkin. It could fit in my hand and when opened, wasn't fully formed. My deck just doesn't get enough sun so this year I rented a plot. I want to grow a huge patch too lol. I understand you on growing a big garden. Neighbors watch out if I get a couple of acres, it will be filled with a garden and a huge pumpkin patch lol. I also want to try my hand at moon and stars watermelons. My dream would be a big yard. Maybe I will win the lottery :D.

This post was edited by gardengal13 on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 22:40

o

Sorry Gardengal13 Didnt mean to ignore you! My son hit the age where they need your attention 24/7 ..haaha he is 18 months now
That pumpkin got to be 4-5 pounds
That was amazing how many pumpkins i got !!
I am going to try Putting sugar pie pumpkins on a trellis as well as some butternut squash. have them running along my fence.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here