Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geekella

Pumpkins on same vine drying up

geekella
10 years ago

Overall, my jack-o-lantern pumpkin patch is looking amazing. All the vines that are producing little tiny pumpkin buds are remaining healthy and the premature pumpkins are steadily getting a bit bigger every day...

Except for one single vine....

This one particular vine tried producing two pumpkins at the same time (unlike the other vines that are so far only trying to grow one). The one closest to the base started turning yellow and drying up. I figured not all of the pumpkins growing will be a success so I understood that will happen sometimes, but I inspected everything anyway. I found no squash bugs or vine borers, neither did I find eggs anywhere after searching high and low.

The next day, the second pumpkin started turning yellow and is now brown and dried up too. I inspected everything, still no bugs.

Now the SAME vine is trying to grow a third pumpkin. At the moment, it's still green and trying its best, but who knows if tomorrow I will come out to find it yellow as well...

Once again it's only one vine. So it makes me worry if that one vine could have a disease. What if that disease spreads to the other vines?

I looked at the base of the vines and it doesn't look like any bugs have bore into the root to plant eggs.

I just wanted to know yall's opinion, and what you think I should do. Do you think it's possible that the vine is trying to grow too much at one time and therefore the pumpkins can't handle it? I can't believe it tried to consecutively grow three pumpkins barely a couple of feet away from each other.

thanks for your help!

Comment (1)