Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carnival and Big Moon

Posted by squinn Z5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 10:37

I have two questions

1) Big Moon Pumpkins - I have excellent vine growth but am concerned I perhaps got the wrong seeds. The small fruits, golf ball size, area lemon to butter yellow, is that right?

2) Carnival squash - I have excellent vines and fruit set with beuatiful speckled coloring. I am getting mixed information on harvesting. I already have fruit that are softball size, do I need to wait to fall to pick these or will the sugar set when the plants get to size?

Thanks as always for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carnival and Big Moon

Wait until the leaves die, the vines shrivel and the stems dry. When harvesting, don't cut the stems. Instead cut the vines, leaving just a tiny bit of vine attached to the stem. If frost is coming, harvest.

o
RE: Camival and Big Moon

I was referring to the Carnival squash. I figure pumpkins are mostly seasonal decoration. I harvest them when they're orange and I need a jack-o-lantern.

o

tcstoehr's advice holds for all winter squash. Carnival is an acorn type. For good quality they must be mature. If you don't want to wait until the vines die back, at least wait until the skin is hard and dry as well as the stems.
Big Moon is a show variety, much larger than the average Halloween pumpkin. They have been known to reach 200 lbs. If they are staying golf ball size after the bloom fades, you have pollination problems. They size up fast.

o

Hello,

I guess to clarify, should the Big Moon pumpkins be yellow as immature fruit? I've always seen pumpkins be green as small fruit. I am concerned I got the wrong seeds.

Thanks for the carnival squash info!

o

That I don't know. I don't grow Big Moon and while there are lots of pictures of the mature pumpkin, I have not found a photo of an immature one. At any rate you will have to go with what you have at this point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here