Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
it is going to rot?

Posted by masondad (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 11:44

Hi all, I know this question must have been asked before, but I could not find it in the archives.

My son planted miniture punpkins near our house to surprise everyone when the grew. Being the mischievious dad, I replanted with large pumpkin. Needless to say my son was schocked when teh pumkins started growing. We have to large pumpkins (about 15 pounds) and several smaller one starting to grow. (Hopefully they will be ripe in Oct)

Well, here is my question, the vine on one of the larger ones broke yesterday. The pumpkin was only aboaut 6 weeks old. Will it rot, or will it ripen? should I leave it outside? Bring it inside? or throw it away?

Thanks for the help, my son is having so much fun watching them grow. Plus he is learning about female/male plants and pollination. We will definitely have a larger pumpkin garden next year.

one side note..... I tought the kid (8yrs) about how to pollinate a pumpkin plant, he did one and than ran in to tell his Mom..."Mommy, I pollinated for the first time" Mom, not being any kind of gardner... was a little scared of what he actually did....lol

thanks for the help

mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: it is going to rot?

Its best to leave it where it is and take a chance it will mature. Good luck.

o

If the pumpkin is still light green sorry it will certainly rot but if the pumpkin is a deep green it will turn orange on it's own and live. Also if the pumpkin has any yellow or orange on it at all (other than the varieties that are that color throughout their whole life cycle) it will certainly be able to finish turning orange off the vine. If the vine begins to rot away getting close to the stem you should certainly cut the pumpkin off because even if the pumpkin is healthly the rot of the vine will continue up to the stem of the pumpkin and that wouldn't make for a nice looking pumpkin.

o

thanks for the help. There seems to be a little orange on it. It is SO hot out, and teh vine is dying. I think I may put it in the boys room and see what happens.

mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here