Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I pick Butternut squash early??

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 30, 11 at 12:05

I didn't think the hoards of squash bugs from my zuchinni plants were bothering my Butternut squash, since their leaves look good. But yesterday I realized that several of the squash are rotting. Do the bugs cause the squash to rot? The squash haven't completely ripened yet.......could probably use at least another 4-6 weeks. But should I pick them now and let them ripen on the porch? I'm thinking the bugs are causing the rotting, but maybe I'm wrong?
Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I pick Butternut squash early??

Were the immature or mature squash rotting? It could be a number of things. If the leaves look healthy I doubt it is anything the squash bugs did. They won't ripen off the vine, or at least if they don't rot away once picked they won't develop the flavor they will if left to mature.

o

Thanks weirdtrev,
Some of them are young and some are older. I guess I'll just leave them alone and hope for the best, as long as the leaves are still looking okay.

o

If they are rotting at all stages it might be worthwhile to put something under them to keep them off the damp ground.

o

Thanks weirdtrev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here