Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adventitious roots

Posted by tcstoehr Z8 Canby OR (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 12:06

I used to think all vining squashes produced adventitious roots at the leaf joints. But I have a huge bed of Delicata (Pepo) with no sign of any adventitious roots. However my Sibley and Sweat Meat, both Maximas, put out roots at all leaf joints even when they're not touching the soil. I encourage this where possible by pushing soil under the vines and watering those areas. Oddly enough, my Maximas are prone to some wilting while the Delicatas never wilt at all.
Anyway, my question is which squashes produce adventitious roots? Can this be divided by species? Or do some varieties in one species differ from another?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adventitious roots

Interesting, I've seen adventitious roots on C. pepo, C. maxima, and C. moschata, as well as Lagenaria siceraria. I've never tried to quantify the degree to which they root, but don't think it would be out of line to assume different varieties might have different propensities to form adventitious roots. Much the way different varieties have different degrees of natural disease resistance.

That being said if the microclimate isn't just right it won't root. I know when my vines run along barren earth they don't form roots nearly as much as when they run in the grass that has dew every morning. I actually found it is quickest and easiest to just bury the vines with an inch or so of good soil or compost in order to encourage more roots.

Personally I've never seen adventitious roots in any bush varieties. Maybe they don't have them or maybe I've never noticed.

Those roots though are incredibly useful. They really help create a much more robust plant that is more capable of supporting fruit and fighting disease. Not to mention they can save a plant from SVB.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here