Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Banana Winter Squash

Posted by tcstoehr Z8 Portland, OR (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 12:09

Are the following squashes all the same variety?
Blue Banana
Guatemalan Blue
Guatemalan Blue Banana

I can find Guatemalan Blue and Guatemalan Blue Banana for sale, and I'm assuming they're the same.
But I can't find Blue Banana for sale anywhere, and I'm wondering if it's just another name for Guatemalan Blue Banana.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Banana Winter Squash

Yes. Years ago it was offered simply as the Blue Banana. Today most "heirloom" vendors will list as Guatemalan Blue Banana. Never enjoyed great popularity.

o

Amy Goldman lists Blue Banana in her book on squash and has it listed in the 2009 Seed Savers Yearbook as Blue Banana a.k.a.Mexican Banana. I plan on trying it next year.

There is also a Guatamala Blue listed and I have that growing this year with seed from Sand Hill Preservation.

I also have Sibley growing which is I guess a banana type with tapered ends and is widely available.

I am very fortunate this year and have had very little disease in the maximas. I lost 1 Sibley and 1 Amish Pie Pumpkin and 1 Potimarron out of about 20 plants. I have not lost 1 moschata ot of about 30.

o

Hmmm... yes. Amy Goldman's book suggests that "Blue Banana" and "Guatemalan Blue" are different varieties. Farmerdilla seems knowledgeable about squash varieties and he says they're the same. One way to find out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here