Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluensilver

Blossoms stay on pumpkins, create lumps

bluensilver
16 years ago

Is anyone else having this problem?! The blooms on some of my pumpkins, especially Baby Pam's, keep staying on. They do not dry up and fall off. When I find the blossoms still on, I take them off. However, the ones that I miss end up with abnormal growths underneath where the bloom was. (I usually go ahead and peel the bloom off, then.) I do not know what is causing this, I have never had this problem before.

Comments (4)

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

Some squash and maxima type pumpkins have little green protrusions at the blossom end of the pumpkin and this is perfectly normal. However your Baby Pam is not a maxima and shouldn't have that. Are you growing seeds you saved or seeds from a packet? I would say leave the blossoms on until they fall off (or at least until they are dry) because if you take them off too soon the fruit will abort. Would you be able to post a picture or two? How long are the flowers staying one and not drying out?

• bluensilver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The seeds I'm growing came from a packet, I got them from Harris Seed Co. The blossoms I have been removing are either already dried or starting to decay/dry. I'm not sure how long the flowers are staying on, but long enough to make odd lumps underneath them. Sometimes after that the flowers dry up and sometimes they do not. I am going to try to post some pictures. I have to figure out how to do that.

• weirdtrev
    16 years ago

Here is a picture I took of the protrusion on one of my 'One Too Many' pumpkins. If this is what you have it is no big deal and definitely not a problem. The way you post pictures is to type:

without the space between {{gwi:862055}}

• bluensilver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The lumps are kind of like that. You have to peel the dried blossom off to see them, though. Mostly they are gooey and you can see 3 separate lumps all stuck together to make one big one. I took some pictures and tried to upload them to a website but it keeps failing. I am going to try some more stuff though. However...other Baby Pam's that I noticed this on earlier seem to have dried the gooey bump up and now it is gone, just leaving a small scar like the blossom scar, only it is off center slightly. Hopefully this is no big deal and nature will just clear it up. I am not seeing it as much as I was, so hopefully that is the case. By the way...awesome pumpkin! I saw a picture of one in a seed catalog. I am trying some Hooligans, hope they turn out.

Sponsored