Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins growing over desert landcaping

Posted by CaptainInsano AZ 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 12:28

I live in Peoria AZ. and needless to say it is very hot here, I am trying to grow a small pumpkin patch, my entire backyard is landscaping rocks, I cleared a 15' x 15' area and planted a few varieties of pumpkin all are doing well but the vines closest to the edge are starting to grow over into the rocks, I assumed they all would eventually grow out and over the rocks, but I did not take into account the damage that the heat would do to the vines, I know that wilting during the day is common and they bounce back in the evening but the ones growing out over the rocks are being cooked, I can not clear the entire area of rocks so what is the best way to fight this I thought possibly landscaping fabric or burlap, any ideas? I did not think it would be an issue because I have watermelon that does just fine growing out over the rocks, but they are a desert plant, so I guess I didn't think it through entirely

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins growing over desert landcaping

You can just lift the end part of the vines and direct the tip back toward the inside.. OR you can HEAVILY mulch the rocky area with hey, straw etc so the rocks wont burn the vines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here