Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My poor little squashies! Mystery solved?

Posted by b2alicia Zone5 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 12:54

I'm beginning to think that it is NOT squash bugs tearing up my little plants!

1. - The insecticide soap did not seem to have any effect. Two or three hours later, I would see the little tiny black spots again on the leaves, stems and flowers.

2. - I never saw anything that looked like the bugs on the internet.

BUT. I came across a picture and article last night that may be the answer.

The topic was about old wood boards nearby that may be starting to rot, and become hosts to bacteria, spores, etc. The pictures they showed looked EXACTLY like the little spots on my squash plants!

And, I've been using old wood boards nearby to keep the plants up off the dirt! So, this morning, I got rid of the boards, and made little platforms out of chicken wire, and put these under the squash stems.

Please keep your fingers crossed, and I'll provide follow-up pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: photos 11 through 16

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My poor little squashies! Mystery solved?

I very much doubt that the fungus that breaks down dead wood would effect your live, green squash plants. I also don't think the spots on your squash are particularly serious. What's most problematic is that your squash plants are not very vigorous or healthy. They look like they're just barely getting by, which would make them more susceptible to fungus or mildew. Are they in a sunny location?

o

Thanks so much for your reply! I've been wondering about the sun...I first used this bed in 2008, and had a bunch of squash then. I didn't plant anything there in 2009, so the bed was unused for 2 years. Now I'm wondering if those trees are, in fact, a lot bigger!. I have cut branches back several times, and the squash do get direct sun for a good 6-7 hours a day, but maybe that's not enough.

There's a spot nearby that gets much MORE sun, but I've been afraid to move them. Maybe if I very carefully dug up the entire surrounding dirt, and disturbed them as little as possible?

Or just write it off to experience? I'm still pretty much a veggie newbie.

Thanks again!
Betty

o

trying out direct links...

my squash from 2008:

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/b2alicia/Squash/IMG_0205.jpg[/IMG]

o

Even in that picture your squash plant looks pretty small. Not surprising since it seems to be placed in a tight spot. Most squashes, especially the vining ones, like tons of room to roam and spread their vines and roots far and wide. Even bush type summer squashes can be monstrous plants. But when you don't have such a big garden, you do what you can.

o
*proudly shows her baby squash!*

3 of them!

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here