Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are all Gourd blossoms white?

Posted by posie z3 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 21, 06 at 13:11

I thought I had planted a squash and it does have yellow blooms but is developing what looks like a dipper gourd. Are all gourd blooms white or do some yellow ones show up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are all Gourd blossoms white?

• Posted by genepa 6 south central PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 22, 06 at 0:32

Hi Posie, All hard shell gourd flowers are white and bloom at night. Soft shell ornamental gourds have yellow flowers and bloom during the day. I would say whatever you have is definitely not a hard shell gourd, which a dipper gourd is. How big is this squash/gourd? Gene

o

This is strange, maybe my plant was crossed with something as it has developed yellow "squash" which look like zucchini but where the blossom ends touched the ground, they started to rot.(Got rid of them). Other "squash" developing are green and they are about 1& 1/2 ft. long now and are bulging on one end like a dipper BUT they are "fatter" than the dipper gourds were. Thanks for your help, I'lljust keep track of them and see what developes ! Guess strange things sometimes happen out there in the garden. The blooms are definetly yellow and bloom during the day.I planted snake gourds and they are all over the place, some are 30 ft. up in an apple tree. I've cut most of them back to see if some of the first blooms will develop in our area where we do not have 130 growing days.

o

Could it just be a cushaw or crookneck or neck pumpkin. The immature fruits are all green and have yellow blossoms. I think the yellow zucchini like things are just squash that didn't make it and hence why they rot.

Oh and snake gourds are lots of fun. This is my first year growing them and from one seed so far I have 7 of them that are over 3 feet long growing in an old dead dogwood tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here