Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What squash is this?

Posted by KnarfEK New York (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 13:20

I though I planted Butternut seeds. Bright yellow ovals grow to about 6-8 inches diameter then this one started wrinkling/drying and turning white. White area is softer than the yellow area.

Pics:
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/8637/w7ve.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img837/8660/3740.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What squash is this?

Lesson learned: don't buy cheap seeds.

Seems this is not even a winter squash. That white was the squash starting to rot so I cut that one down and opened it. Seeds nowhere near ripe. Looks like a normal yellow summer squash inside. Fried up a slice in oil and pepper and taste was like yellow summer squash, a bit milder and wetter and the edible skin was just slightly tough. I will grill a slice later today over charcoal to see how it tastes that way. Also thinking they may be usable for succotash as there is far more seedy part than fleshy part to these. Still no idea what it is.

o

Well, whatever it is, it's yummy charcoal grilled with pepper and cajun spice.

o

• Posted by planetes 7b (Cascadia - PNW) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 21:48

That blossom end looks suspiciously like C. Maxima too me.. Butternuts are C. Moschata so it's not even the right species

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here