Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what are these?

Posted by bartels none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 14:36

Are these aphids? On underside if leaves of pumpkins. Vines are dying. We have sprayed for insects and mildew etc. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what are these?

Pics

o

Man I got those too. I always thought aphids were those bugs that would sit on the stem and suck the plant dry. I thought these bugs were called something else. But I'm still an amateur so I don't know.

These little things just infest the underside of the foliage and make the leaves curl up and eventually die. I bought a bottle of Ortho and that seemed to help. They're not gone yet but I imagine after a couple more applications they'll be gone. I really wanted to stay away from the pesticides but I'm a couch gardener. If it ain't easy, I ain't doing it.

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 19:55

Try using a sprayer with dish soap. YEP!
1/2 tbl. spoon per gallon of water. Just the cheap stuff from the dollar store will do the trick and will not hurt the good bugs or pumpkins. It suffocates soft bodied creatures. Plus you will have clean pumpkins and leaves. You will need to spray about every 5 days(reproduction rate) to get rid of them completely. Do not spray when its real hot(early morning is good) and I don't use Dawn its a little harsh.

o

Your leaves have really bad aphid infestation. Please do as campv said and their numbers will be greatly reduced.

o

The soap water solution works awesome for squash bugs too. I use a 1 1/2 gallon pump sprayer. With about 1-2 T of dish or Kirk's Castile soap. I try to spray just directly on bugs though so it is not all over the leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here