Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash Vine Borer Adults in July??

Posted by jymstl MO (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 14:38

I just noticed several adult squash vine borers flying about my pumpkin plants. I just sprayed last week and wound some cut up pantyhose around the base of both plants. I also put some soil over the base of both plants. Do I need to do anything else to deter them? I have three pumpkins growing and hopefully more so I want to preserve them as much as possible. I haven't seen any evidence of larvae coming out yet, but this is the first year I've had pumpkins or these bugs. Thanks for any insights.

J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash Vine Borer Adults in July??

My acorn squash that was growing in a container got killed by SVB last month. I'm not sure how late in the season they lay eggs. But I haven't seen any adults flying around for about a month.

o

I don't have much experience with them since I live on the west coast which isn't their normal range but I would assume that it depends highly on your zone. The local climate could affect the reproductive cycles.

o

Here in Georgia we lucky lucky folk get at least 2 swarms of them. No sooner than you nurse your plant back to health when bamo, they're back in there again.

I tried the panty hose trick this year and it seems to have worked on the areas it covered, but the stem kept growing and I didn't keep up with it, so whereever the pantyhose didn't cover, the SVB's moved right in.

Good luck!
Susan

o

I just saw an adult SVB flying near my squash plants earlier this week. I was told by the county extension service that they are normally done laying their eggs by the third week of June in my area so this was obviously wrong info. as I've dug several worms out of my vines over the past three weeks or so.

I would suggest checking your vines every day for evidence of infestation and when you see the telltale signs try to cut into the vine and get the worm out. Then work on getting the vine to re-root a few places along the way and you should be ok. This is what I've done with any of my vines that have fruit on them and it seems to be working so far.

o

grow radishes around your pumpkin plants . they help repel squash bugs .

o

I saw a SVB flying around just the other day... in August! maybe they never go away!

They've already killed all my squash except the cushaws, but are now really hitting them hard too. Those are supposed to be "resistant", but I guess if the SVB's don't have anything else to attack, they'll go for them.

Next year I'm going to try neem oil to kill them. I just found out about it. It's supposed to be a safe, organic insecticide. They're even boring into my cushaw FRUITS. I haven't gotten a single squash yet that wasn't rotting with holes bored in them. >:-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here