Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

New to Butternut Squash: a few questions

This year, for the first time, I'm growing some Butternut squash (have no idea which variety) and have a few quick questions for those with some experience in this area:

1. How many fruit does/should a plant typically bear?

I've read posts from some that have 20 or more full size squashes on the vine and others with vines covered with flowers but nary a squash. Is there an "average" and if so, what is it?

2. I assume that the number of female flowers you have is what determines how many fruit you'll get but are there factors (certain soil nutrients, ambient temperature, amount of sun exposure, for example?) that determine the number of female flowers you get?

(I have two groups of the same type of squash started at the same time growing on two different sides of the same building (different soil, different amounts of sun, diff temps). Both look good. One area has 5 squash and more females the other I don't believe has any squash yet. I did notice one female there that seemed to just wither.)

I let the plants both sprawl and climb. So far, there are only squash on the horizontal sections. Is it advisable to occasionally turn them, give them a little "nest" to rest in or just leave 'em alone?

I welcome answers to any or all.

Thanks,

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County