Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Butternut Squash: a few questions

Posted by actionclaw 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 15:10

This year, for the first time, I'm growing some Butternut squash (have no idea which variety) and have a few quick questions for those with some experience in this area:
  1. How many fruit does/should a plant typically bear?
    I've read posts from some that have 20 or more full size squashes on the vine and others with vines covered with flowers but nary a squash. Is there an "average" and if so, what is it?

2. I assume that the number of female flowers you have is what determines how many fruit you'll get but are there factors (certain soil nutrients, ambient temperature, amount of sun exposure, for example?) that determine the number of female flowers you get?

(I have two groups of the same type of squash started at the same time growing on two different sides of the same building (different soil, different amounts of sun, diff temps). Both look good. One area has 5 squash and more females the other I don't believe has any squash yet. I did notice one female there that seemed to just wither.)

3. I let the plants both sprawl and climb. So far, there are only squash on the horizontal sections. Is it advisable to occasionally turn them, give them a little "nest" to rest in or just leave 'em alone?

I welcome answers to any or all.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Butternut Squash: a few questions

1) 3 or 4 per plant is a good yield, 1 or 2 per plant is more typical if all you do is water and weed them. 20 is a plant grown on last years compost pile that was babied and shouldn't be expected under normal growing conditions, especially not for a first time grower. When people ask about yield I always like to post field trials so here you go Butternut and Acorn field trials

2) Plants should be well fertilized and in full sun. Temperature is largely out of your control so don't worry about it. Full sun is over 6 hours, well fertilized is following the directions on a bag of vegetable fertilizer or working 3 inches of compost into the soil at planting or side-dressing the vines.

3) Don't worry about turning them, but if you want to put something under them you can. Anything that keeps them out of contact with the soil and dry works. It is only really useful if you are growing a few and every squash matters not if you have a field of them.

o
RE: Butternut Squash answers

Thanks to all who answered. I now live in TN and this is my first year gardening. My soil is zero and instead I have chert and shale. I grew some squash for the squash bugs (hundreds) and some in a bag of topsoil. As this plant grew it dipped into a bucket of water nearby and I let it. This variety grows to 15 -30 lbs.each squash. I have one round green striped squash on this plant. Another plant wandered under and around my deck, It has three squash on it. One is about 18 inches long, one 12 and one about eight inches. The trouble is the vines are starting to die. I will try the paper towel and foil method and let you know how it turns out.
Soup sounds yummy. Thanks PS I was a master gardener in GA and had gardens in other states.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here