Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bumpy skin on pumpkins

Posted by vanmont 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 15:24

Is this bumpy texture under my pumpkin normal?

This is my first time growing pumpkins. I'm in the city so the plant is trellised and it looks healthy to me. The variety is Galeux d'eysine or Peanut pumpkin. I understand that these produce a bumpy-when-mature fruit, but these bumps not only look different but are growing from the bottom up rather than from stem down. It's also only been about 10 days since pollination and growth began.

Is it normal or does it look like something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bumpy skin on pumpkins

Normal

o

...will discharge brown pus soon too. My fruits develop a crown, where that gunk comes first.

o

Thanks acorneti, for the pic. I see that the gunk is coming from the bottom up on your fruit as well so I'll assume that mine will follow the same pattern. So relieved.

o

My fears were well founded. This is obviously NOT normal and the pumpkin was rotting the whole time. As you can see, behind the stem that was touching the fruit in the photo, the black rot is now evident.

The fruit will be removed. Perhaps this can serve as a lesson to someone reading this in the future: not all bumps are normal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here