Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassie60

Erasing the pattern

sassie60
18 years ago

I have been using the graphite transfer paper for marking the pattern on the gourd. In most cases a pencil eraser will take off the excess pattern after I have burnt the pattern on. But, occassionally the marks won't come off. Is there a better eraser that will take the transfer paper marks off?

Sandy

Comments (7)

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

After you have burned the transfer pattern onto the gourd, you should be able to wash it off with a mild soap and water. This may remove, or lighten some of the lines you've burned on, but now you know what needs to be burned a little deeper.

Jan

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jan,
    Sorry, I really didn't make myself very clear (that's me). These lines I was referring to are the pencil (graphite paper) lines that are not burnt on only transfer marks that I didn't follow. Just like erasing any drawings made. But after saying this, I think your solution to the mild soap and water may just do the trick. Clear as mud..right?
    Sandy

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

Your message was clear...my reply was the muddy part. I meant to say I remove all extra pencil lines with soap and water.

Jan

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you again Jan, I'll definitely give it a try.
    Sandy

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

If that doesn't work try a little rubbing alcohol on a
    Q-tip.................Lillie

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lillie. I'm sure the alcohol would also work.
    I was reading a posting regarding the gourd bread warmers which sounded really interesting. Would you sand the inside of the gourd? and what kind of a sealer would you use for the inside. I normally use marine spar varnish for most projects as it's so tough but just not sure if that would work with food items (I don't want to poison anyone). I know you use a cloth and the gourd doesn't go in the micro, just the rice bag.
    Sandy

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Sandy-I did clean the gourd well inside and sanded it smooth.I used acrylic craft paints and sealer for the insides of the bread warmers.I think as long as you aren't actually "eating" out of them and since the bread itself is wrapped in a cloth it will be fine.I know there are some paints and finishes that are food safe but I haven't checked them out yet.I also think you could actually just oil the inside instead of painting or sealing with acrylics but I wanted mine to have a color inside and wanted to be able to wipe the inside with a damp cloth if necessary.You can use a vegetable oil or purchase the food safe tung oil.I think it's just according to the look you are wanting and your own personal preference.....Lillie

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm