Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizbeth_pa

Anyone growing gourds this yr?

lizbeth_pa
11 years ago

I'm wondering who is growing gourds and what variety? I can't believe I'm having some problems w/ the gourds right now. I'm growing the fancy gourd variety. I wanted to grow the birdhouse gourds but didn't get around to putting them in! What problems are you having, if any? Some of my leaves are turning brown and dying. I think the rabbits are actually eating some of them, too!

Comments (9)

• Sid23
    11 years ago

Do you have vine borers or squash bugs. Mostly anything in my patch that is turning brown is from borers or bugs. The only thing I have no problem with currently is the gourds. I'm growing fancy and another, I think they are called Daisy or something like that.

• asm_scott
    11 years ago

I planted 11 birdhouse and had 9 of them sprout. I didn't read the package correctly. I thought it said 6-8 INCHES apart. It actually said 6-8 FEET apart. I made a trellis of sorts from an old pallet and trained them to grow up and over it. I have not had any problems YET. I don't use any fertilizer or pesticides. I'll see what photos I have to hopefully inspire your gourds to grow big.

• asm_scott
    11 years ago

I'll have to take another shot of the vines today. They have really spread out since my last photo.

• lizbeth_pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

WOW! Looks awesome!! I wish I had done birdhouse gourds! I bought the seeds but didn't start them. I just planted fancy gourds and the mini pumpkin. Im getting some and not sure when I should pick them. I'll try to post a couple of pics here!

• lizbeth_pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try to post a couple of pics here of my gourds! Here's trying!

• lizbeth_pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another view. The gourds took to growing along my fencing, as well as sending off runners on the ground!! You can also see some of my eggplants!

• lizbeth_pa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those are great pics and thanks for sharing them! The gourds sure take to the fencing w/ little coaxing or redirecting, dont they? Mine have been funny, though. They ran along the fencing from inside the garden where I planted them, then the headed back to the ground outside the fencing! We mow around the gourd runners! LOL! I did get some of those green striped guys, too! I think gourds are fun but some got on some of my other veggie plants! haha! I am sticking a few more gourd seeds into the garden today (or already did so) and see what happens! We still have a lot of warm days left before our frost starts. And I hear gourds do okay after 1st frost, if it's not a killer frost!! How many gourds do you have coming in? I just pulled a few this morning cuz the vines died on them and also a mini pumpkin.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner