Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no female flowers

Posted by napapen ca 15 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 9, 12 at 16:30

My pumpkin is growing like a weed and is covered with male flowers. The squash bees have moved in and spend alot of time in the male flowers. Is there someway to encourage the girls so I can set a couple of pumpkins?

My gourds are doing well and I have one big one already and a load of little ones. I probably won't keep them all but I like seeing the babies.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no female flowers

Nothing you can do, just be patient. They'll come when the plant is mature enough.

o

I have read that if the ground is not fertile enough, the plants will not produce female flowers. I have the same problem with my butternut-I have been feeding it and it is getting a few female flowers.

o
keeping squash going through the heat

Here's a question I posted in Texas Gardening, but haven't gotten an answer to.

I had considerable success with butternut squash this year. Got a half-dozen big fruit out of just two or three plants. Due to their natural resistance, with a little help from an occasional dusting with Carbaryl, I managed to keep the vine borers at bay. But in the last few weeks, hit with 103+ temps, the plants just faded, even though they were well mulched, I watered them about every other day, and even gave them some shade. The symptoms looked like borers, but I didn't see any burrows.

What's the strategy for seeing squash, and cukes for that matter, through the hottest times of the year in the hottest parts of the country? I've seen people suggest watering every day, which seems a bit excessive.

In Central Texas we get several summer weeks over 100F, and several months with highs in the 90s and lows in the mid 70s. Y'all up north need not respond.

o

Whoops. I meant to start a new thread. Sorry about that ...

o

Penny, I have no female flowers on my pumpkins, either. Plants are not growing as fast as last year, I think the weather has just been too hot. Hopefully all will change when it cools down this week-end.
Sandi

o

I think heat is a factor. We were in the 100+ in early august, and I did not get any female flowers to set. The few that appeared would just shrivel and die before they even opened up. But as soon as the temps got into the upper 80s and lower 90s that past 2 weeks, the female flowers have come more, and I now have some small pumpkins and some nice acorn squash growing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here