Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butternuts vs Irene

Posted by oilslick NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 27, 11 at 16:37

This is the first time I'm growing butternuts on my own and I have a few hanging off the trellis. I'm wondering if it would be a wise choice to pick them a little early due to the hurricane passing through. Here are pictures:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Please let me know asap. Thanks

-Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butternuts vs Irene

Tim,
I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but just want to say that I hope all goes well between you and Irene and that you suffer no damage.
Sandi

o

Seems like the storm is losing intensity, probably just going to be a tropical storm by the time it reaches me. Thanks for the response though.

o

Tim, don't pick them early. They won't ripen correctly. If they survive the winds then they will ripen, even if the plant loses most of its leaves. If they don't survive... they won't ripen. But then, neither will they ripen if you pick them ;)

I've done this experiment before!

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

Thanks for the responses! Butternuts 1, Irene 0. I kept them on the vine and nothing happened to them. I can't say the same for a tree or two down the block.

-Tim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here