Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wartywhite

Help with pumpkin buds big and small aborting:(

wartywhite
10 years ago

I've done quite a bit of reading and found one common answer and that would be the fact that the baby buds are dying because the female flowers are not being pollinated. However, I don't see in any of those explanations an answer to this... how can the buds/flowers be pollinated if they yellow and shrivel up before the flower even gets an opportunity to open up?? I didn't think I was suppose to force open a flower to hand pollinate it, am I?

Even the more mature ones get about golf ball size and are shiny green and two days later they are wrinkled and gone. Zone 4, decent temps, even though we did have a few weeks of lower than normal temps and a few nights in the 40's. No sign of pests, but plenty of bees in the area. No mildew, just healthy leaves and vines with dozens of pumpkin buds that all shrivel and die. Could the vines be too long to get nutrients to the buds? They are past 10 feet from base of the vine.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, although I have a feeling it may be getting too late for anything to make it at this point in the season:(

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996