Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do about pumpkin vines?

Posted by Ritingyou Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 18:32

This is my second year planting pumpkins. Last year was fantastic! I only planted 3 seeds and ended up with 9 pumpkins! This year I had more room so I planted 6 on July 4th. But now I have one that is around 7-8 feet long and the others are maybe 2-3.

I noticed some of the leaves looked as if they were being nibbled on, but since they were nibbled on when little from grasshoppers I figured they were ok because it didnt look new. A couple days later I notice one vine looking a bit yellow, and now I'm fineing holes not only in that one vine but almost all! It's right at the root and there seems to be orange/yellow gunk surrounding it. As if a bug went inside and was making it hallow.

I never had these issues last year, and not sure what to do now. I only have 2 pumpkins growing and they are the size of my thumb on the longest vine furthest away from my pumpkin patch. What did I do wrong? WHat can I do to fix this?!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do about pumpkin vines?

You have Squash Vine Borers (SVBs). I know of them only from reading (Thank God!) so I won't try to give advice. Search 'borers' or 'SVB' at the bottom of the forum page.

o
RE: What can I do about pumpkin vines?

Definitely SVB. Try burying the vine. This is one of the many reasons why crop rotation is so important, however in a small garden this is hard to achieve. The more years you grow the same thing the worse off you will be. If you don't kill the grubs in the vines they will burrow into the ground and be a problem next year. I just stab vines with a small pin a bunch of times to kill the grub in place, others slit the vine open, down the length of the vine, to pull out the grub. You can leave it in and just bury the whole length of the vine because roots can grow at the base of each leaf on the vine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here