Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little bit of green when harvesting OK?

Posted by Sid23 4b, WI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 19:10

Having to harvest many pumpkins early due to stress of vines from heat and bugs as I have posted earlier. Does any one know if it is OK to harvest when just a tiny bit of green is still on pumpkin? If this was mid Oct. I would not bother asking, but trying to cure and save these now for Oct. and beyond. If they are too green then I should leave them but I have borers randomly boring right into pumpkins so I am wanting to get them out of the patch as soon as possible. Have many that look like this. Should I give them a bit longer or should they be OK to harvest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little bit of green when harvesting OK?

Yes. You can actually harvest them when they are deep green and have the slightest hint of orange. Even at that stage they will ripen fully off the vine. This isn't ideal if you want a long storing pumpkin but they will at least continue to ripen.

o
RE: Little bit of green when harvesting OK?

Thanks Trev, hoping you were out there for me today. Will get about 10 more off tomorrow then!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here