Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is the kabocha ready to pick?

Posted by bonnie13 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 19:19

OK, this is a sort of stupid question, but I have a kabocha vine that's been working on a squash (I'd posted earlier about how the female flowers were all withering), and I'm a newbie gardener, so I'll just ask. I've got a kabocha vine in my little garden plot. It's got a squash on it that's been growing for about a month now - it was the size of a large marble on July 14th. It grew really fast for a while, now it's slowing down. It's also beginning to get a golden-orange undertone to the green of the skin - it's not as big as supermarket kabocha (which is actually where I got the seed) but it seems like the kabocha squash in the store are just green, which makes me wonder - how do I know when it's ready to pick?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is the kabocha ready to pick?

The skin of this squash should get hard, so that one cannot dent it with the fingernail. (Try this test on a ripe squash in the supermarket.) Once it's this hard you can pick the squash. However, I suspect that the quality of the flesh will improve if you don't eat it for yet another month.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: When is the kabocha ready to pick?

Thanks! I'll try to hold off. Unfortunately the vine seems to be very unhappy about something right now - I think maybe the incredible amount of rain we had last week may have been more than it could handle. It was thriving up until then but on Saturday all the leaves were drooping pathetically. Can't have been too little water, the soil had been soaking all week - we had that awful storm that stopped the NYC subway system dead with 3 inches of rain in an hour plus a tornado on Tuesday, and then it poured all day on Friday - most of the garden came through OK but the kabocha looks miserable.

btw if anyone's interested in seeing a gardener's view of that storm, there's a guy that has a nice blog about gardening in Brooklyn - unlike me, he actually knows what he's doing! :D

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatbush Gardener

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here