Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too late to plant gourds?

Posted by swannsong57 East TX (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 20:06

Have I decided late to plant birdhouse gourds? We are in East TX. Our average first frost is in mid November, but usually a light one. We can have a hard frost in late Nov. Is it just too late to plant? I have the seeds, so I figure what do I have to lose? If they are covered with a tarp for a freeze, will they live? I don't expect large ones at this late date, but I'd like some even if they are small.
Would culling them down to a few choice gourds encourage faster and larger growth?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too late to plant gourds?

swannsong57, I have decided to plant late gourds too! I don't have any idea if its going to work or not but one thing for sure I'll never know what happens if I don't try!! I'm going to experiment and see just how thick the gourd walls will be at the end of the growing seasson. (If I can even get the seeds up). But the hot weather were having and the enormous size of the grasshoppers are not in our favor. May be some one can answer these questions. Good luck!

o
RE: too late to plant gourds?

According to what I found online, you won't get full grown birdhouse gourds by your frost time.

"Lagenaria, or 'Bird House' gourds will need about 150 to 180 growing days in order to fully mature to 9" or 10" gourds."

That puts your harvest dates somewhere between mid January or mid February.

You can certainly try, but you'll have better luck if you wait until next season and plant in the spring.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here