Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many fruit on a Sugar Hubbard/pruning vines

Posted by deo777 western oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 1, 10 at 20:15

I'm growing a Sugar Hubbard (c. maxima) which is a cross between a hubbard and a sweet meat pumpkin. It currently has three large fruit and four smaller ones. Should I prune the end of the vines to keep more fruit from forming and to let the focus the plants energy to the current fruit? Each fruit is supposed to weigh about 15-20 lbs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many fruit on a Sugar Hubbard/pruning vines

If you have the space I personally wouldn't prune, the only time I prune is to constrain the vines to a certain area. The vine will stop producing fruit once it has all it can handle by very small fruit either rotting away or female flowers shriveling and never opening. If you limit the number of fruit on a plant you will get bigger fruit, which to me is undesirable. I would much rather have a ton of smaller fruit than few beautiful large fruit. This is because winter squash easily store over 6 months if stored properly, but once you cut into one it is a race against the clock to use it all. And I suspect the average family doesn't doesn't go through 20 pounds of squash in a few days unless you really like it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here