Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weirdo Squashes

Posted by danielinthelionsden Northern Indiana (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 20, 09 at 20:17

Hi, each of these squashes came from seeds out of butternut squash that I planted last year. I had thrown two of the butternut squash out mid winter because they were starting to spoil. These things volunteered from that so I let them grow to see what would happen. Any idea what these are and if they are edible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weirdo Squashes

Looks like your original squash was a hybrid. They are probably not edible. I would use them as fancy fall decorations-like you would a gourd. They're pretty.

o

If you are not into decorating with gourds -- I would cut them open and see if the inside looks edible and then I would cook and taste. You might have something delicious -OR- something yukky :-)) IMHO

DL

o

I think what you have are mostly gourds. I am positive on the second one.
Aparantly your butternut squash got crossed by various others of the same family.
The second picture shows some characteristics of butternut squash shape. Two others look like striped zukes.

I had planted several varieties of gourds last year.
I just throw away some and they grow on their own in my garden. I transplanted some of them. Now I have one that is gourd, like one of the last years. AND I have one that is differen. It is bicolor(red and green) and it is oval shape and much bigger. How did that happen? I think they are products of cross pollination.

For these reasons, if you want to save seeds, you have to hand pollinate one or two, cover wit a net or someting for a day, mark them (by tag) so you will know that they are your seed cucurbita.

o

I agree with what was said above they are all ornamental gourds, but I doubt they came from your butternut. Butternuts are are different species than what you have there.

o

Well I found the seed packet from the original squash. It's a Waltham Butternut from ferry-morse. As far whether or not they came from the butternut the reason I suspected that they came from the butternut is that they came up right where the butternuts where thrown out. I even found pieces of the squash shell around the seedings. I'm not sure how seeds from gourds could have gotten to that location though I suppose anything is possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here