Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Whats a fun winter squash with vines that are (15 ft long

plantslayer
14 years ago

Title says it all. I am wondering if anyone can recommend some winter squash or pumpkins that meet these criteria:

1) medium sized (from 3+ lbs to 10-15 lbs at the very most)

2) look interesting (ugly looking, bumpy, ribbed, etc.)

3) are not acorn or butternut varieties; are not kabocha (I already plant to grow kabochas)

4) have good eating qualities

5) have vines/plants that are not too long; maybe 15 ft or less along the main stem

I will definitely grown a smaller bush or semi-bush kabocha, but want to try one other variety for fun. I'm thinking about growing kikuza or black futsu, but I am not sure how long the vines on these get. I wish I could grow something bigger like Marina de Chioggia, or Red Warty Thing, but my understanding is that the vines are too long for my little garden. I think I can manage with a 15ft or less main vine (I would run it up and down an arch that is a total of 10 ft long, and might have several feet in excess of this to let it run on the ground), more than that would be asking for trouble.

Has anyone grown any of the mini-hubbards from Harris seeds (orange magic, green magic, blue magic)? THey seem like they might fit the bill, but I don't know if they are actually good to eat, or just decoration.

Comment (1)

Sponsored