Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmoreno44

What are these white moldy looking spots on my pumpkin leaves?

vmoreno44
15 years ago

This just showed up yesterday - came from nowhere. What do I do?? I don't even have any pumpkins yet! Just some female flowers that look like they haven't been pollinated yet...

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkins

Comments (16)

• vmoreno44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first picture has the spots on the leaves, if you go to the 2nd photo, you'll see a different problem, kind of like a yellowing, spotting pattern. What do you think each of the problems are and do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

The first is powdery mildew, the second is just a normal pattern that appears on some types of squash as the vine reaches maturity. I personally do very little for powdery mildew. Early in the season I just remove leaves as it appears, but once it gets a good foothold I just remove leaves as they start to die. Powdery mildew can affect many different plants so be sure to remove infected plant debris at the end of the season.

• vmoreno44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Trev, so I guess I'll do the same. Remove the affected leaves now and get rid of all debris after they're done growing.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

Vicki

• seedsofgrace
    15 years ago

If you want to stay organic/ pesticided free you can purchase organic sulphur and make a sulphur tea to spritz on the leaves. It should kill off the powder mildew. I have had the same problem on our summer squash and table queen squeen squash. It didn't affect our tomatoes though so I am wondering if I boil some tomato leaves if that would work too!

• truly59
    12 years ago

As of this morning my pumpkins and zuchinni plants are covered with this white spot stuff and I mean everywhere. Yesterday they were fine. The pumpkins are quite a good size. Do I just leave them alone this late in the season or is there something I should do. Please help and thanks.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

if you could post a picture kinda hard to say what it is. if your pumpkins are close to being ripe i wouldnt worry about it.

• truly59
    12 years ago

Thanks Terry. My camera is dead this morning but the spots are exactly what was described above I think as powdery mildew. So you think I should just let them be? Do I keep watering them? Thanks.

• truly59
    12 years ago

Thanks Terry. My camera is dead this morning but the spots are exactly what was described above I think as powdery mildew. So you think I should just let them be? Do I keep watering them? Thanks.

• planetes
    12 years ago

It would depend on exactly how widespread the damage is.. which is why pics would help. Are all leaves infected or just some of them?

• terrybull
    12 years ago

Baking soda makes an inexpensive control for powdery mildew on plants. The baking soda fungicide is mostly effective as a preventative, offering only minimal benefits after your plants have become infected. Weekly spraying of susceptible plants during humid or damp weather can greatly reduce the incidence of powdery mildew in your garden.

To control powdery mildew on plants, mix together:

1 tablespoon of baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon of liquid soap
    1 gallon of water
    Do not store unused mixture. While this recipe has been known to be effective, it can burn the leaves of some plants. It is recommended that you water your infected plants well a couple of days before applying this mixture, and dont apply it in full sun.

or you can buy the more expensive fungicide. this late in the season give it a try.

• truly59
    12 years ago

It is most of the leaves and not the pumpkins themselves. Some of the leaves are totally white/gray and look dead the rest just have the spots. I want to remove the dead leaves but not sure where to cut them off at. The top of the stem or the bottom? At this late stage in the season and with them being almost totally orange, is it necessary to spray or could I still just let this go? Thanks.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

let them go. give them a good drink of water. they will finish on there own.

• truly59
    12 years ago

Thanks Terry. I removed ALL of the bad leafs and gave them a nice drink from the bottom of the plant with my hose and I'm praying they will do just fine and I'm sure they will if you say so. I also cut down all of the bad leaves on the zucchini plants which are right next to the pumpkin plant. Also I don't think I mentioned it but I only have one pumpkin plant but it has three pumpkins on it and they look fantastic. So cross your fingers. I hope also by getting rid of all of the bad extra vines and leaves the pumpkins will get more of the water for themselves and maybe even grow a bit more.

• truly59
    12 years ago

Thanks Terry. I removed ALL of the bad leafs and gave them a nice drink from the bottom of the plant with my hose and I'm praying they will do just fine and I'm sure they will if you say so. I also cut down all of the bad leaves on the zucchini plants which are right next to the pumpkin plant. Also I don't think I mentioned it but I only have one pumpkin plant but it has three pumpkins on it and they look fantastic. So cross your fingers. I hope also by getting rid of all of the bad extra vines and leaves the pumpkins will get more of the water for themselves and maybe even grow a bit more.

• planetes
    12 years ago

Powdery Mildew or other diseases are almost a given late in the season.. you can control it to a degree but the plant itself is doomed in most climates anyway since it will die as fall/winter encroaches anyway. The goal is to maintain as good a leaf structure as possible and minimize disease to give the plant time to grow and mature the most amount of pumpkiny goodness.

• dancinglemons
    12 years ago

OOPS,

One should read all post before asking the same question!

My bad folks! I just started a thread with these same questions............

DL

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner