Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pumpkins dying

Posted by dick1204 MASS (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 20:25

I have several Burpee Big Max plants. This my second year growing these. My problem this year is that early on I had 5 to 7 good looking fruit from golf ball size to softball size and thought things were going good. They looked healthy and were a nice yellow color. In short order these all turned white and rotted away. Subsequent fruit have done the same thing.
The plants and leaves are all healthy green and large. I even hand polinated some of these fruit and I know there are plenty of bees around.
I know fruit will shrivel and die if not pollinated but how big will they get before they die. I figured I was beyond that stage with these fruit.
We had a very wet early summer here. Could this have had something to do with it or is there some disease going on.
I did not have this problem last year. I water daily and fertilize weekly with a Miracle Grow foilage feeder.
Thanks
Dick, Andover, MA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pumpkins dying

Dick, do the plants look healthy?

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

I'm having the exact same problem. Though, I'm growing my pumpkins(jack-o-lanterns) in pots. They flower abundantly and bees are everywhere. As the fruit begins to form it looks great and then goes white and rotten. I don't water daily, about every 2-3 days. I also Miracle grow on a weekly basis. I was wondering if it was maybe because the plants are growing up onto my deck and not on the ground. My summer has also been very similar to Dick's.

o

Thanks for the replies:

To macmex: Yeah the plants look great. Big green leaves and thick vines. I now have several more fruit that so far look good. Weather has been drier lately and I have cut back on my watering.

To impulse: I doubt growing them on the deck is a problem. Better to keep them off the wet ground. Perhaps it was the wet spring and wet early summer. I now have a couple bigger than a softball. I've cut back on watering and it has been drier. Lets see what happens.

Dick, Andover, MA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here