Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! What is this squash? gourd?

Posted by isewnbake 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 11 at 21:10

I have a garden plot thru our park district for the first time this year. This is a volunteer plant that I just let grow up the fencing. Can anyone tell me what it is, and what it should look like when I harvest it?

This one is already 2 1/2 feet long and there's lots more on there.... I've included a picture of the white blossom also. It's vining about 6 feet or so....

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery squash

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! What is this squash? gourd?

What a wonderful surprise for you, isewnbake! And how clever of that seed to sprout where it could grow up the fence and not be in the way.

Snapfish won't let me see more than one thumbnail unless I join.

However, the mention of a white blossom means you have some sort of Lagenaria siceraria; they are the type of gourds known as hardshell gourds. (Some other gourds belong to a different species, Cucurbita pepo, where you will also find cucumbers, acorn squash, field pumpkins, etc.)

The Lagenaria siceraria gourds bloom at night and are pollinated by moths (including the moths that become tomato hornworms, so watch out if you're growing tomatoes in your plot). Their origin is Africa and Madagascar, though they spread to India, Europe, and parts of the Americas many hundreds or thousands of years ago.

The long snakey gourd in the photo could be -- guess what? -- a snake gourd! They're edible when young. It might also be a club gourd (AFAIK not edible) or a zucca melon (edible). I believe there are other edible gourds with that shape which are not well-known in the West. But mind you, I am not promising yours is edible.

Some info about hardshell gourds, when to harvest them, and what to do after that:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv069
http://www.benjaminslanding.com/gourds.asp

Be sure and save seeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here