Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccabal

Acorn squash questions

Christian
11 years ago

Hi fellow green thumbers,

So I have a couple questions about Acorn squash. I've been able through much effort to fight off the SVBs, and have saved my plants, and they have gotten big, and have a few nice fruit on them.

1. One problem I am having now is with aphids. My plants are long, about 6-8ft long average (was supposed to be semi-compact variety!!) The newer leaves on the plants are deep green, big and very healthy. But most of my early leaves have gone yellow, and some have wilted, and been attacked mercilessly by aphids. So I've wondered if the aphids have caused their demise, or the old leaves are weak, and this are an easier prey for the aphids? I have started cutting off some of these sick leaves, because I have tried spraying neem, and the leaves have to gotten worse, and it doesnt seem to have helped kill the aphids.

Question is, should I be concerned about the aphids? Do they normally attack the older leaves? What do you guys suggest?

2. The other question is about the fruit. Now the biggest one is a good size now, and starting to turn dark green. But I have noticed that female flowers down the vine from it have withered (I have hand pollinated them just in case) Is it because the plant doesn't think it can support more than 1 fruit? My question is, would it help if I picked the squash once its dark green and tough skinned? Would that encourage more fruit? We have about a good 2 or 3 months left of growing season here, and I dont know if it makes sense to leave it on the vine that long, if its done growing? I just want to make sure I get more that just 1 squash per plant. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the aphids, been spraying with soap/garlic spray,but its not making much of a dent. This morning I blasted some away with my hose, but its a very time consuming task when you have a lot of leaves to deal with.

Its been hot again, over 100 the past few days. :( I've got about 7 fruit on my vines, 3 are pretty much ready to eat. Only 2 plants have healthy growing vine tips. The other 5 plants don't look all that great. The vine tips have yellowed and burned some. Wonder if the plants are toast. I'm hoping with the cooler weather later this month the plants recover, and if I can keep the aphids at bay. I would sure like to get a few more squash from these plants. Being in N. TExas, we have about another good 2.5 months before a good freeze.

• Christian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks wierdtrev,
    Well my acorn squash vine are starting to die. Some I have discovered due to SVB damage, and some because of the heat. So it seems 1 squash per plant is all I am getting :(
    There is one lone plant that is doing well. Its got 2 female flowers about to bloom. Funny thing is that the plant is only surviving due to secondary roots, because the main vine was attacked by SVB and rotted away, as I discovered recently (main vine was buried, so thats the drawback of buyring vines, you cant tell when they are getting attacked),
    Next year I am definitely going with row covers!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting