Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyvalley

Growing squash every season

sunnyvalley
9 years ago

With sickly infested plants and not a single zucchini to show for this summer, I've learned the hard way why crop rotating is a thing.

I only have a pretty confined area in which to garden, and the problem is basically everything I want to grow is in the squash family. Is there anything I can do to make the same area suitable for repeatedly re-planting the same family (short of dousing my future dinner in pesticide)? And, is crop rotation entirely about pests or does it also have to do with the soil getting depleted? (Wondering if it's worth buying amendments.)

If I must think of something else to plant there, is alternating every other season enough, or are you supposed to cycle through multiple other families?

Comment (1)

• LCaroline12
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way that you can repeatedly plant cucurbits year after year successfully. Maybe someone will have some suggestions. It stinks, but maybe next year you can plant some sunflowers and veggies and give that area a break. My understanding is that rotation helps cut down on pests and diseases, since disease almost always comes from the soil. I think alternating every other season would be fine.

All plants take up nutrients so you'll definitely need to amend somehow. You can mulch your garden using newspaper, grass clippings, leaves, aged manure (if you're lucky and have a neighbor with livestock of some sort).

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio