Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filmost

pumpkin vine color

filmost
10 years ago

Hello! First timer poster here with a quick question about pumpkin vine color.

The main vine of my pumpkins has become a very dark green color. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, however I have noticed some vertical splits (run along the vine) in some areas, and it looks like the vines are becoming tougher. Can anyone shed some light on this? I am assuming they shouldn't be getting so dark. (please see pic)

Other information: I have two plants growing on trellises and planted directly into the ground, and have seen this happen to both of them.

Comments (4)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

That should be fine. How the leaves look like ?
    Leaves mirror the state of health of the plant and tell you what they want or dont want. .

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thats good to know!

Leaves aren't doing too well I think. One of my plants had a really bad problem with leaf miners so I cut a lot of leaves as a prevention measure. Current leaves are light green and a little dry, I think due in the hot weather and all day exposure to sun. I do have a few yellow leaves, but usually they are damaged leaves.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

When was the last time you fertilized them ?

If the leave are pale green, then they might need some boost. Any all purpose fertilizer should do. Liquid type will act faster than granular. I would use it at half recommended strength, just to be safe.

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I fertilized last week. I do it once a week with a liquid fertilizer @ 1/4th cap per 15L of water.

I posted in another thread about a pumpkin showing a bump rind, and someone mentioned it could be a mosaic virus, so at the moment I am not to hopeful for the health of the plants.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County